Monday, March 4, 2013

Free Falling



Kathy’s Point of View


       I’m standing here with the crowd, cheering for my boyfriend Carlo who is about to shoot the ball with only 3 seconds left at the clock. My heart is beating fast, crossed fingers wishing that he could aim the ball right to the ring and win this competition. I closed my eyes for a second and before I knew it the crowd is screaming frantically because Carlo had already shot the ball and it’s heading straight to the ring. Yes! He did it! The school won the Inter-school Basketball Cup. I was overwhelmed with joy that my body moved according to its own heading towards Carlo. I was about to give him a hug when a girl grabbed his shoulder and kissed him passionately.
       “I love you babe. Congratulations. I knew you can do it” and she gave him a smack kiss. Seeing her kissed Carlo, my emotions took over me. “Hey! You whore!” I pulled her hair and slapped her face. “How dare you!? What the hell is your problem!?” screamed by her. “You are my problem! Carlo is my boyfriend so back off!” I looked at Carlo and said “I’m your girlfriend Carlo! Explain who she is!” “I . . . I’m sorry Kath but we are over. You are no fun at all. Mae is my . . .” I slapped Carlo before he can finish what he is saying and ran out of the gymnasium.
       I can’t believe what happened inside, Carlo cheated on me and I was humiliated in front of hundreds of people. Teary eyed, I drove my Volkswagen Beetle and went to La Terraza Café, my favorite coffee shop, hoping to clear my thoughts and have some peace of mind. I parked my car and went to the Café. I saw the door was open from afar and as I was wiping my tears, I went inside and suddenly someone bumped at me, coffee first!
       “What the!!” I shouted “Aaargh! This is the worst day ever! My boyfriend cheated on me, I was humiliated in front of hundreds of people and now my shirt is frigginly soaked with coffee!” Tears fell again through my eyes. “I’m really sorry, I . . . I didn’t mean to. Please don’t cry” he said with a cracking voice. “If you don’t mind, I have an extra shirt inside my car, please wear it.” I looked at him and I could see that he was sincere. I accepted the shirt and went to the rest room to change. After I finished changing, I went out and saw him standing with his earphones in one of his ears. 
       “Umm” I said hoping to catch his attention. “Oh, is the shirt okay? I really am sorry about the coffee incident. Forgive me” he said. “Yeah, about that too. Sorry for the way I behaved earlier and thank you for letting me borrow this shirt.” As I look into his face, I saw him smiling with his perfectly white teeth and he said “Let’s have some coffee, my treat. I won’t take ‘no’ for an answer. Is Cappuccino Macchiato fine for you?” I smiled back at him “That will do, it’s my favorite” “What a coincidence, mine too” he chuckled.
       I waited for him on the corner-side table of the Café. “Here is your coffee milady” said by him as he put it on the table. “By the way, I’m Nicholas but you can call me Nick if my name sounds too long for you and you are?” He smiled and reached his hand for mine. I shake hands with him and said “I’m Kathy, Katherine de Real from Central Philippine University.” We looked at each other, eye to eye and we didn’t notice that a minute has already passed and we’re still holding each other’s hand. I broke the silence and said “Is there a problem Nick?” “Uh no” and he gently let go of my hand. “I’m from CPU too, CHM department to be exact. Let me guess, you’re from CBA dept.?” “Nope, Engineering” and I smiled again.
       We talked for almost two hours about random things going on at CPU like those teachers who lecture really fast like there’s a plane to catch, students who feel like they rule the campus, our favorite bands, and also about what happened to me at the gymnasium. “Nick, I’ve got to go now. Thanks for the coffee. See you at the campus.” “Welcome. Umm, Kathy? Can we trade numbers?” “Sure Nick.” I traded numbers with him and bid farewell. As I arrived home, I received a text from Nick “It’s me Nick. Thank you for the great time we had together at the Café. And also about the shirt you borrowed, you can have it. It’s your favorite band printed on it. :).” I looked at the shirt I’m wearing and I really didn’t notice earlier that it was the Fall Out Boy band printed on it. I replied and thanked him for the gift.
       It has been almost four months since we’ve been texting each other and I seem to like him. I often see him at the campus but I’m too shy to approach him and every time I see him looking at me I tend to avoid making a direct eye contact with him. I was eating lunch together with my friends when I received a text from Nick.  I don’t know what to reply to him. I felt like there were butterflies in my stomach. Could this be love? Well, Nick is cute somehow, 5’8” in height, hot swimmer type body, dimples on his cheeks, and a good personality. Who won’t fall in love with him? I also thought why would he go out with me? I’m not that kind of pretty, smart nor tall and sexy. I asked my friends if I should go out with him and most of them said ‘no’ because maybe he is just the same with my ex-boyfriend and that I should know more about him before I date him.
       “I will try Nick” I replied to him. I really don’t want to disappoint him. I went home and lie at my bed in my room. I've been running circles in my mind. “Should I go or not? Yes, No, Yes, No, Yes! Yes I will go out with him” I said to myself. I opened my cabinet and saw the shirt he gave to me. I decided to wear it together with my favorite faded jeans and with my Keds. I hurriedly drove my car to SM. I went to the 3rd floor hoping to find him in the movie corner. I saw him wearing the very same clothes the first day we met and I was hoping to surprise him. As I approach him, I noticed that he is talking to a girl who is quite familiar to me.
       I tapped his shoulder, smiled and said “Nicholas, I’m sorry for the short notice but I decided to come. Is your invitation still available?” “Thank you Kathy for coming, I’m really glad that you’re here. By the way this is Mae, my friend.” “Ex-girlfriend actually and you must be Kathy, the one who slapped me” she said to me. “I’m sorry about what happened that time. Let’s just move on” I said to her. Carlo then appeared from behind me and said “Let’s go baby, we’ll gonna miss the show” “O, Uh, Hello Kath! Long time no see” he said. He was about to speak again when Mae interrupted it “C’mon babe, let’s go already. Goodbye guys. Ciao.”  I felt rage and envy but then I heard Nick say “We should go too Kathy, we’ll gonna miss the movie too. I’ve bought these tickets already hoping that you would come” he said as he was smiling to me. He held my hand filling the spaces between our fingers and together we entered the movie theater and find a seat. 
       While the movie is nearing its end he looked at me and said “I got something to tell you Kathy.” I looked at him too. He continued “My parents want me to live with them in the United States of America together with my other siblings. I was at the La Terraza Café when I decided that I will live there together with them but then we bumped to each other and found myself captivated by you. There is a strange aura within you that whenever I see you at the campus, I can’t help but stare at you. Sadly to say every time I look at you, you avoid and walk away. You are the only reason why I’m staying here. All the night-long texting to you made me fall deeper in love with you. You may not be the perfect girl but I love all your imperfections. It’s too early to say this but I love you Kathy, I will never cheat and hurt you like that jerk. I will always protect you. I’m leaving tonight at 10 PM, please give me a reason to stay.”
       His words deeply moved my heart and confirmed what I really feel about him. “I love you too Nick, please stay. I don’t want you to leave.” I felt that my tears are falling with each word I say.
       “For you Kathy, I’ll stay” and I felt his warm lips touching my forehead.

FIN

1 comment:

  1. PS, I'll appreciate every comment and correction/s you will give. :D

    ReplyDelete