Monday, March 4, 2013

Falling for her, heart first



Nick’s Point of View

       “Do I really have to go there mom? I’m fine here and happy with my friends. You know I miss you but I just don’t find America suiting for me” I said to my mom. “But son, you’re the only who is left there. Your sisters, Annie and Victoria, moved in here 2 years ago. Your daddy and I miss you so much.” “I’m gonna call you back later mom to let you know my decision. I love you.” “I love you too son, just be careful okay?” “Yes mom, good bye.”
       Why is it that I have to go there too. I don’t want to leave Iloilo yet, just not ready for it. I went to La Terraza Café to set things out. I don’t know why but I just like the ambiance of the Café, it’s warm and I feel relaxed whenever I’m here. I ordered a hot coffee and a donut to fill myself up. After hours of thinking, I have decided that I will go and live with them. It’s been a while since they've last visited me here. I went to the cashier to take out a Chocolate Oreo Frappuccino. I headed straight to the open swing door of the restaurant when I received a text from a friend of mine. “Central Philippine University Basketball team won the Inter-school Basketball Cup with a score of 79-76 and with Carlo. . .” before I could finish reading the text I bumped to somebody spilling my drink to that person.
       “What the!!” she shouted at me “Aaargh! This is the worst day ever! My boyfriend cheated on me, I was humiliated in front of hundreds of people and now my shirt is frigginly soaked with your drink!” I looked at that person and saw that she was crying. I really don’t know what to do “I’m really sorry, I . . . I didn’t mean to. Please don’t cry”. With sincerity, I said to her “If you don’t mind, I have an extra shirt inside my car, please wear it.” She looked at me and accepted the offer. I waited for her outside the restroom. I put an earphone on my right ear and  pretended that I was listening to music just to act cool because of the embarrassment I received earlier.
       “Umm” I heard her say. “Oh, is the shirt okay? I really am sorry, I didn’t mean to spill my drink at you. Forgive me” I said. “Yeah, about that too. Sorry for the way I behaved earlier and thank you for letting me borrow this shirt.” She looked at me and I saw that she’s kinda cute. I smiled at her and said “Let’s have some coffee, my treat. I won’t take ‘no’ for an answer. Is Cappuccino Macchiato fine for you?” she smiled back at me “That will do, it’s my favorite” “What a coincidence, mine too” I chuckled.
       I waited for the order to be finished at the counter. “Here’s your order sir. Enjoy the drink” the barista said to me. I saw her sitting at the corner-side table of the Cafe. “Here is your coffee milady” I said as I put the coffee in front of her at the table. “By the way, I’m Nicholas but you can call me Nick if my name sounds too long for you and you are?” I smiled and reached out my hand. She shake hands with me and said “I’m Kathy, Katherine de Real from Central Philippine University.” We looked at each other, eye to eye and I was captivated by her. I felt that my heart beats so loud because of her holding my hand. We, maybe I, didn’t notice that a minute has already passed and we’re still holding each other’s hand. She broke the silence and said “Is there a problem Nick?” “Uh no” and I gently let go of her hand. “I’m from CPU too, CHM department to be exact. Let me guess, you’re from CBA dept.?” “Nope, Engineering” and she gave me a sweet smile.
       I enjoyed talking with her about our fellow complaints to those teachers who gave lectures with a fast mouth, students who think they run the campus because of their out of this world outfits, our favorite bands, and also about what happened to her at the gymnasium. “Nick, I’ve got to go now. Thanks for the coffee. See you at the campus” she said. “Welcome. Umm, Kathy? Can we trade numbers?” “Sure Nick.” We traded numbers with each other and separated ways. I was still at the Café when I remembered about the print of the shirt I gave to her. She said she’s a fan of the Fall Out Boy band and so am I. I decided to text her “It’s me Nick. Thank you for the great time we had together at the Café. And also about the shirt you borrowed, you can have it. It’s your favorite band printed on it. :).”  I was happy when she replied that she likes it.
       I decided to stay a little bit longer here and told my mom that I’m not yet ready. It has been four months or so since we’ve been texting each other and all those night long conversations of ours made me connected to her more. Every time I see her at school she seems to avoid me every time our eyes meet. It feels bad because I don’t know if she’s feeling the same way as I do. Kathy’s a great girl, smart, pretty, talented, and have a beautiful voice. Compared to her ex-boyfriend, I don’t stand a chance against his height and body structure. Why would even Kathy like a guy whose voice when he sings can cause heavy downpour of rain and only knows how to draw Kathy’s face on his sketchbook. I really don’t stand a chance, do I? 3 days ago I received a mail from mom containing a plane ticket to go to States since my papers are already finished. Today is the day and I will be leaving at 10 PM. It’s now or never, I texted Kathy “Hey Kathy, can we watch movie together at SM later at 6:30 PM? I’ve got to tell you something important.” I saw the very same shirt and pants I wore the day I met her and decided that I will be wearing those. I went to SM at 2 o’clock and bought tickets for the movie, I was hoping that she would come.
       I received a text from her saying “ I will try Nick.” I was disappointed somehow. I prayed even more hoping that she would come. “O Nicho, how are you? You’re still handsome as before.” I looked around and saw that it was my ex-girlfriend, Mae, who was talking to me. Mae said she is with her boyfriend Carlo who’s gonna watch the same movie as I have planned to watch with Kathy. Mae and I talked until someone tapped my shoulder, I turned and saw that it was Kathy wearing the very same shirt I gave to her. My prayers did work finally! She said to me “Nicholas, I’m sorry for the short notice but I decided to come. Is your invitation still available?” “Thank you Kathy for coming, I’m really glad that you’re here. By the way this is Mae, my friend” I said to her. “Ex-girlfriend actually and you must be Kathy, the one who slapped me”  Kathy said to Mae “I’m sorry about what happened that time. Let’s just move on.” Carlo who just bought their tickets, appears behind Kathy’s back “Let’s go baby, we’ll gonna miss the show” “O, Uh, Hello Kath! Long time no see” he said to her. He was about to speak again when Mae interrupted it “C’mon babe, let’s go already. Goodbye guys. Ciao.” I saw Kathy’s face was slightly flushed red. I said to her “We should go too Kathy, we’ll gonna miss the movie too. I’ve bought these tickets already hoping that you would come” I said to her as I smile. I held her hand and filled the gap between the spaces of our fingers and walked happily with her inside the movie theater and find a seat.
       It was already in the ending part when I decided to tell her. “I got something to tell you Kathy.” I looked at her and she looked back at me. I continued “My parents want me to live with them in the United States of America together with my other siblings. I was at the La Terraza Café when I decided that I will live there together with them but then we bumped to each other and found myself captivated by you. There is a strange aura within you that whenever I see you at the campus, I can’t help but stare at you. Sadly to say every time I look at you, you avoid and walk away. You are the only reason why I’m staying here. All the night-long texting to you made me fall deeper in love with you. You may not be the perfect girl but I love all your imperfections. It’s too early to say this but I love you Kathy, I will never cheat and hurt you like that jerk. I will always protect you. I’m leaving tonight at 10 PM, please give me a reason to stay.”
       I looked dearly into her eyes and she said to me “I love you too Nick, please stay. I don’t want you to leave.” Tears from her eyes dropped by with every word she said. I’ll stay for her, for the one I love.
       “For you Kathy, I’ll stay” and I kissed her forehead.

 FIN

No comments:

Post a Comment